The last days I worked a lot on my second NG UAVP quadrocopter. I had many of the parts ready since weeks. But I decided to do some things different than planned. But in between, all things were done and it was time to get my new aircraft airborne. And it flew! Unfortunately I had some interferences, but look yourself!
Maiden flight of my second NG UAVP quadrocopterThe second quadrocopter is a lot easier to build. The whole world of quadrocopter and radio controlled model making in general was very new to me. I made wrong decisions or just didn’t know how I want to have it in the end… Here is a small lists of improvements I made on my second quadrocopter. It might help other beginners to do it better in first place 🙂
On my first copter I bought the same connectors for the quadrocopter which the batteries had: 4mm Bullet connectors. But connecting them was dreadfully: My connectors were a little bit to big, so I had to deform the plastic of the connectors a little bit. The plastic on the front was battered. Connecting them was very tough, in the end I didn’t connected them fully, it simply wasn’t possible anymore. So it was time to switch. I decided to use the XT60 connectors from Hobbyking (an alternative to the popular Deans connector system). They are cheap and you can also buy batteries with this connectors. The connection holds strong but you can connect and disconnect them without problem. No more half connected plugs in the air.
Using a board to distribute the power is definitely more comfortable, especially if want to connect something new or disconnect something. I used a two-sided 70µm copper bare board. Don’t forget to remove the coat before soldering if it has one. You also should have a soldering iron with enough power doing this. My 40W soldering iron was definitely a bit too feeble. Another good tip is to use silicon cable whenever possible. Its easier to solder them because the cable coating doesn’t melt.
Landers and centerplate
Having good landers from start is also very convenient. Starting from grass is no problem, calibrating the acceleration sensor is easier too. I already wrote about my new centerplates. They look good and are very strong.
Its easier to distinguish the front of the quadrocopter with colored LED’s. I planned to add LED’s to my first copter already, but because the power distribution was inflexible I desisted installing them. On my second copter I bought 3mm plugs to connect them, and also added a cable to the power distribution system.